Monday, March 24, 2008

Daily SAll-Star: To Be Revealed

Today is my 20th birthday.

I would rather it not be. Or at least I'd rather be turning 18 or 19. 20 is halfway to 40. Gross.

But the one perk of this particular birthday is that I get to select today's SAll-Star. However, I want to make something very clear. The banner at the top of this page includes the word "mediocre." From time to time Ben and I have ventured into the world of successful and productive individuals instead of simply lauding the crap of society as, perhaps, we should.

But let there be no misunderstanding today: just because he carries the banner of Saint Fasano, today's selection is not only NOT mediocre, he might just be the greatest human being alive.

I'm talking, of course, about

Gary Oldman.




















Gary Oldman is...indescribably good at his job. Any and all superlatives you wish to bestow upon him, by all means, do so. But you won't appropriately compliment his talent. And nor can I appropriately tell you of it in words. So I shall let the man's roles speak for him.

Dracula: a classic villain. One of the oldest and most feared creations in the history of fiction. A role granted only to the most dedicated.



Drexl: a truly bizarre character.



Sid Vicious: an angry young man.



And just for reference, here is the real Sid Vicious. You will notice that Oldman plays him perfectly.



And finally, Norman Stansfield.

There are no words.

1 comment:

Ben Johannes said...

with all due respect to bret hart, gary oldman is the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be