Tuesday, September 23, 2008

This Place Looks Different

Hello strangers.

On Sunday, I went to the Stanford Lipsey Student Publications Building as I do every Sunday during the school year. My assignment that day was to cover our field hockey team's game against Connecticut at the Storrs Invitational. While I was editing my story one of the editors said that John Lowe would be coming back to the Daily for the fall since baseball season was wrapping up and the Tigers aren't making the playoffs.

And I felt bad.

You see, John Lowe is the MLB beat writer for the Detroit Free Press and the man who encouraged--actually, flat-out told me to start a blog--and I can't face him next week and tell him that indeed, I started one, I posted regularly, and then sometime in July I simply abandoned it.

"Why?" he would ask, his mole-laden face bunching up into a frown.

"I don't know," I would say. After all, there are no editors here. I can literally say whatever I want and my articles can be as long or as short as I want. So I have no excuse for leaving Ben all alone here at Sal's. In April, this blog had over 9,000 hits. Not bad for a site that has no ads and one group on Facebook. In August, it had 2,700.

I'd like to say we're back to the Daily SAll-Star grind, because that "feature" definitely gave us a concrete schedule to adhere to, but realistically, it's probably not going to happen. Ben is the offensive coordinator and QB's coach for a fraternity that's in its first year in Division I. And I am a hardcore journalist now writing for two newspapers with a potential career-maker in a few weeks (and you will be among the first to know if it goes down). But! Rest assured that I am back in action. You can expect considerably fewer links and embedded videos from me; I've read some of the archived posts and most of the stuff I put up here is altogether uninteresting. But you can expect spectacularly witty prose as only the Suave can deliver.

Finally, I realized that I never declared a winner between Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel. The victory goes to:





Phil.